Stacks Improvement Proposals
Stacks Improvement Proposals—or SIPs for short—are formal documents that describe the design, implementation, and governance of the Stacks 2.0 blockchain. Although this book is about Clarity, not mentioning SIPs would be an oversight as the Clarity language itself was first formalised by means of a SIP. The SIP process allows for a transparent way to propose and ratify new ideas. Even the SIP process itself is described in one; namely, SIP000. They can be found in a specially designated GitHub repository: https://github.com/stacksgov/sips.
Covering all SIPs is out of the scope of this book, but here are a few of interest for those that want to do a true deep dive:
- SIP000: The Stacks Improvement Proposal Process
- SIP002: The Clarity Smart Contract Language
- SIP006: Clarity Cost Execution Assessment
- SIP009: Standard Trait Definition for Non-Fungible Tokens
- SIP010: Standard Trait Definition for Fungible Tokens
The ones we will cover in this book are SIP009 and SIP010, the NFT and FT standards on Stacks.